Saturday, December 7, 2013

holiday blues antidote

The holidays are a lovely time for most. For others, it is depressing and disheartening. Let me suggest a holiday blues antidote.

Gingerbread houses.




Go ahead. Channel your inner architect. It worked for me when I came home from college during the month-long Christmas break. It was the perfect festive distraction that kept me occupied during that weird time of life. Bless my mother for allowing me to monopolize and destroy her kitchen for the entirety of the holidays.

Can't sleep? Construct a hot tub.




Discouraged? Add a dog house.




While the gingerbread house is a classic, don't feel constrained. Gingerbread is not limited to houses! One particular Christmas break, I made a gingerbread playground which included a functioning teeter totter, carousel, and swings.


Keeping my mind and my hands busy helps me to remain content. And creating something out of candy and gingerbread is just fun.




It may seem silly. After I returned to college, my mom threw away my candy creations and reclaimed her kitchen. But during that time, I needed a reprieve, a project that captured my attention.
Regardless of the circumstances this holiday season, don't allow discouragement to overwhelm you. Embark on a project that captures your thoughts and your time. Allow yourself to be distracted for a time.  Creating something brings forth feelings of accomplishment and satisfaction, even if it is something silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...