Monday, November 25, 2013

it's all gravy

Today, I went to the doc for my annual physical. It was rather uneventful, but the hour wait allowed plenty of time for thinking. Health is something that I take for granted. I can walk and run, work and play. I live without pain or a serious disease. But really, must the nurse take my weight as soon as I walk in the room with my coat and shoes on? 



I celebrated my health today with ham and cheese muffins. I have never made a savory type of muffin before, and they turned out pretty good. But they needed something more.

Gravy.

Oh, I haven't told you? Gravy and I have this thing. It's a one-sided relationship, really. And I am obsessed. Yum. Yum. Yum. It turns an ordinary meal into instant comfort food. It's thick and creamy and warms up my insides.

Two days last week, my lunch consisted of mashed potatoes and gravy. Let's be honest, it's more like a little mashed potatoes with my gravy. It's soup-ish. It's wonderful.




Not just any sort of gravy will do, however. My current favorite is not homemade or fancy-pants. It is Southeastern Mills brand gravy mix from the Amish store. The brown variety is the best for topping mashed potatoes, and the versatile country gravy was perfect for my ham and cheese muffins.

I doubt that the doc would approve of all of this gravy. She did, however, tell me to have a happy Thanksgiving, and my happy Thanksgiving includes a hearty portion of gravy.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...