Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Christmas: 2013 edition

Christmas was a little different this year. But no matter what, the Christmas celebration with my extended family is something we always look forward to. My mom and I were tasked with organizing the event, and everyone was able to attend!

I was one of the lucky ones who grew up surrounded by cousins and aunts and uncles. Now that my cousins have grown up, some have moved away. Far away. So it was super special to have everyone in the same home, gathered around the same table. Ok so all 34 of us did not fit around one table.

Weeks ago, my mom and I planned the menu and coined the theme: memories. Everyone was to bring a gift that was somehow associated with a family memory. Details were intentionally vague as the gifts could be old, new, or homemade. The gifts were distributed white elephant style; however, after someone opened their gift, the giver told the story or memory that inspired the gift. This turned out to be such a fun and sentimental time with lots of laughter and a few tears. There were funny memories, like Grandma's fishing expedition, and poignant memories, like Grandpa's favorite sayings and his famous candy bag.






This was the first Christmas without our loving patriarch. Several family members used the gift exchange as an opportunity to tell stories about Grandpa and remember wonderful moments that were shared with him. Often, when the family gathered together, Grandpa would pause and announce that he is so blessed and so thankful for his family. We absorbed his gratefulness and it now emanates from us.



My mom and I decorated the table with woodsy elements. It's our style, and frankly, it's inexpensive. We cut pine branches and berries from the trees in the yard and gathered pine cones. The glass candle holders were used as centerpieces at my wedding, and the burlap was also left over from my wedding. My mom came across the super-cute, decorative animals and purchased several to add interest and fun to the table. I'd say it worked pretty well.



My dad even helped out with the place card holders. He cut pieces of birch wood branches and sliced an angled slit in each one. Name cards and a sprig of pine were tied onto the birch piece with spare string from the burlap. We swiped old photos from Grandma and placed copies into the wood. The pictures went along with the "memory" theme and got the older generation talking about what happened that one time...



It was a wonderful day. New memories were made while old ones were rehashed and embellished. Grandpa would be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...