Saturday, February 15, 2014

venison lovin

We do Valentine's Day on the chill side. A few gifts, some favorite treats, and our classic at-home date night, frozen pizza and a Redbox. Kb thoughtfully picked out a movie about a group of people who struggle with addiction. He knows that I am interested in addictions, and he thought that I would enjoy it.

However, the movie synopsis that Kb skimmed through apparently did not include that the addiction that plagues the characters is a sex addiction.

Such a scenario creates a strange mood for Valentine's Day.

 Overshare? Maybe.

How about some recipes?!

My dad, the hunter, gifted us a big chunk of his deer in the form of steaks and ground venison. It's no secret that I skimp on meat so we (especially Kb) really love this gift. I've enjoyed experimenting with the venison and creating some scrumptious dishes.



I found this venison pie recipe from this forum.
1 lb ground venison
1 large onion chopped
1/2 cup salsa
1 package Taco seasoning 1.5oz(McCormick)
1/4 tsp pepper
8.5 oz of canned corn
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup of bisquick or biscuit mix

In a large skillet, cook ground meat and onion over medium heat and drain. Stir in the salsa, taco seasoning,corn, and pepper. Transfer to a greased 9 inch pie plate; sprinkle with cheese.

In a large bowl mix the eggs, milk and biscuit mix; pour over cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
 
It turned out pretty good! I omitted the onion (to Kb's dismay) and used homemade taco seasoning. Also, my 9 inch pie plate could not handle the amount of goodness in the recipe. Next time, I'll use a casserole dish.



I repeat, do not use a pie plate. There may be a thin layer of charred biscuit mix in the bottom of your oven. The smoke alarm may go off. And you will probably be reminded that you desperately need to clean your oven. 

 Even better than the venison pie were these burgers. I am not a big fan of burgers, but the meat was thawed, it was 10:00 PM, and Kb needed something manly to eat. I was a little nervous about the cooking time so I cut into the first cooked burger and sampled it. (btw I cooked them for 3-4 minutes per side)

It was ridiculously, wonderfully tasty. 

I was not prepared for this, but I recovered quickly. I toasted a bun, slapped on a slice of cheese, and gobbled it right up. Yum.



Go find yourself some fresh venison!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...