Sunday, February 9, 2014

blue betty vs winter

This winter marches on. More snow and More cold.

Yesterday, my mom suggested a trip to Target, and I turned her down. This is serious, people. The relentless winter has gotten to me.



You'll find me covered in layers of clothes and huddled under a quilt, reading this book or this one. Besides a few times when I did venture out this week, the results were disheartening. Wednesday, I did not get more than a mile away from home and my attempt to cruise down an unplowed road proved futile. Blue Betty, my good old ford focus, couldn't hack it.

Then, on Friday, I was rolling down a semi-clear highway when the serpentine belt flew right off. What's a serpentine belt, you ask? Well, I learned pretty quickly that it is an extremely vital piece of rubber.  Blue Betty died right there on the highway.

Believe it or not, there was an upside. When I was stuck in the snow, six guys pulled up in their trucks offering help. Even if they could not help me, apparently I was in too deep, they made sure that I was warm and that my car had fuel. After an hour and a half, three guys worked together and succeeded in breaking me free.

And after my serpentine belt bit the dust, my coworkers helped me get to work and made sure that I had a vehicle if I needed to go to appointments. Later in the day, my dad and his friend, Dan the Man, arrived to save the day. They worked out in the subzero temps until that pesky serpentine belt was replaced and Blue Betty was good as new.

I've learned that there is no shame in staying home, hiding from the world beneath my quilt.

But I've also been the recipient of great kindness and generosity from strangers, coworkers, and family. And of that, I am so thankful.


2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...