Friday, October 17, 2014

these days

These days, free time and sleep are at a premium. I have taken vacation time off of work just so that I can get papers written and a few extra hours of sleep. I like to think that my life is just very structured right now. I go from one thing to the next: work-internship-class-homework and repeat.

As a working grad student, there are a few unique things that I have noticed.

For example, I leave the house in the dark and come home in the dark so I never know when the grass needs mowed, or rather when to remind Kb that the grass needs mowed.

I need more tupperware. Breakfast, check. Lunch, check. Snack, check. Dinner, check. When I finally get around to doing the dishes, all I'm cleaning is tupperware. Speaking of cleaning, I really need to clean my car, where most of my eating occurs.


The only exercise I've been getting occurs at my cubicle. I do not get a lunch break, but I get two fifteen minute breaks during the day. That is the perfect amount of time for me to stick a workout DVD in my laptop, grab my exercise ball, and move without getting too sweaty.

 I must take a little time to work the right side of my brain. The left side is pretty occupied these days. This project took twenty minutes and was inspired by my mom. She provided the letters and the used dryer sheets (aka ghosts). Apparently, we do not use dryer sheets. I wouldn't know; Kb has taken over the laundry.





Lastly, I intentionally seek out beauty and grace. It is easy to start thinking too much, analyzing my schedule, and overwhelming myself with tasks that need to be done. When I take the time to look around, breathe deep, and soak up the present, I can see more clearly. I have a job that gives me purpose (and pays for me to go to school!), an internship that gives me opportunities to gain new experiences, and professors that are supportive and challenging.



There's a lot of good going on these days. I just wish there were more hours in a day to get it all in!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...